I thought it was an interesting point that teens today do not consider it rude to be in the same physical space with one another, but be texting, Facebooking, twittering, etc. with friends somewhere else. I think there is definitely a generation gap issue here because I've been out with friends and felt it rude when I or one of my friends is playing around with their iPhone and not paying attention to the conversation.
Developing and experimenting with one's self-identity has always been part of being a teenager. I can remember going through this phase where my group of friends, the way I would dress, or the music I listened to would rapidly change from one year to the other. The difference with today's teens is that the easy accessibility and wide variety of media outlets makes it easy to broadcast this self-identity experimentation to a much larger audience. I can remember thinking it was really neat when MySpace started becoming popular that people now had such an easy format for developing and broadcasting their individual creativity.
I do worry that the easy access of the web has made it too easy to acquire "celebrity" status, through personally demoralizing activities. I know that there is freedom of expression, etc., but it seems to me that too many teens put too much of their mind and bodies out there and that they may at some later point regret this.
So, what does all of this mean to education? As the authors point out, teens really seem to want to be involved in social activism and they want to be involved in a way that blurs the lines between local and global. So, teachers could design projects to teach core subject content through means of working on social activism projects. It would seem that such projects would engage students in a meaningful way, while at the same time helping them learn core content.
The point on physical space was well-taken. Perhaps I'm caught in between the generations because I think it is incredibly rude to be texting or surfing the web while hanging out with somebody though I'm technically Gen M. Anyways, I hope we don't lose some of basic courtesies of giving someone your undivided attention because new technologies.
ReplyDeleteYou raise a great point about celebrity being achieved through demoralizing activities. What does that say about our society -- that celebrity arises not from positive impact but via a form of weird subjugation?
ReplyDeleteOh, for crying out loud. In rereading your blog to score it, I was struck by "demoralizing activities" and thought I'd comment on it ... only to find that I already had. Sigh. Maybe Twitter is rotting my brain, after all ....
ReplyDelete