Thursday, July 15, 2010

Twitter, blogging, web 2.0, PLN's, NING, NetVibes, "presentation Zen" style, blah blah blah

Basically, my summary of the Media 21 project report goes like this: the kids did projects on Africa using a bunch of web tools that I've never really heard of or have any clue how to use. But the overwhelming majority of kids seemed to get a lot out of the academic content and enjoyed themselves while working on it. And the project seems like it wouldn't have been successful without a librarian literate in all the latest web tech tools. So, if I want to do something like this in my school I better hope there's tech savvy librarian or media specialist there.

And the thought of using twitter for building PLN's is a challenge for me. I think I get the concept of PLN's, but I've never had any real interest in joining Twitter. I am interested to learn how to use Twitter so I can begin to decide for myself whether it may be useful to me. It seems that pretty much everything in this course is knew to me. So, I have a steep learning curve .

The reading about cheating on multiple choice tests asserted a provocative idea: don't use multiple choice tests. This is a really good point, considering everything that we're learning about the need to move students towards HOT. And I wonder if academic dishonesty and plagiarism are truly more prevalent today than in the past (is there any research that corroborates this assertion?). I lean towards thinking kids are no more dishonest now than they were in the past. I just think the ways in which they do it have changed.

2 comments:

  1. Your first paragraph made me laugh as I reflect on a rather unexpected set of outcomes this morning. Thank you for all you contributed to the webinar to keep some momentum going and to probe into the dark corners you didn't get from the report. It raises a great point about who the report is for (is it self-reflection? meant for others?) and the kinds of prior knowledge one needs to understand them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also appreciated your questions during the webinar. I had put together some questions for myself while I read it, but failed to realize we wouldn't all have the webinar running on our computer for easy asking of questions...

    I also thought your suggestion about standing up to take the floor for the facilitated discussion was great.

    Twitter for me up until this week has been the way I privately broadcast short thoughts I think will be funny or interesting to a select group of real life friends. My challenge is going to be to figure how to use it in the more traditional, public way.

    ReplyDelete